top of page

WATERCRESS LINE

OVERVIEW
The ‘Watercress Line’ originally called ‘The Mid Hants Line’ was opened in 1865 with routes to Winchester, Eastleigh and Southampton. Then came the Beeching axe. The goods service closed in 1968 and in 1973 the last passenger trains ran on the line.

With volunteer effort, trains ran again in 1977 between Alresford and Ropley and in 1983 tracks were laid to Medstead and on to Alton. The line is connected at Alton to the main line to London Waterloo.

The award-winning 'N' gauge layout was donated to the NDMRS by Bruce Armstrong and can be set up for home use at 10’6” X 8’ or for exhibitions at 18’6” X 5’. Buildings are a mixture of Metcalfe kits and some that have been scratch built.


TRACK
Trackwork is finescale code 55 for the scenic section and code 80 in the fiddle yards. A working turntable gives access to a two road engine shed.

MOTIVE POWER
Motive power is provided by diesels of various classes such as 08, 31, 33, 57/3 and 60. An Intercity 125 is also seen.

OPERATION
The layout is operated by both DC & DCC. Points are controlled by stud & probe and Seep solenoid point motors with LEDs to indicate the direction of travel. The control panels can be used at the front or rear of the layout.

Watercress Line photo 1
bottom of page